Brisbane Sports and Exercise
Brisbane Sports and Exercise Medicine Specialists (BSEMS) is a multidisciplinary specialist medical clinic that aims to provide for all your needs regarding staying fit and healthy, overcoming injury, and maintaining an active lifestyle. The practitioners at BSEMS are all highly trained professionals, and specialists in their fields.
Our focus is to offer a thorough assessment and establish a prompt and accurate diagnosis, and to guide you through your management, whether this requires counselling and advice, rehabilitation, or an operation.
Patients do not necessarily have to be “athletes” to benefit from assessment at BSEMS, rather those who are hoping to commence an exercise programme and require guidance in this area, or are interested in maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle and who for some reason are troubled by a musculoskeletal or medical condition.
At BSEMS we offer rapid access to the Specialist best suited to manage your problem.
- Sport and Exercise Medicine Physicians
- Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Sports Dietician
- Sports Psychologist
- Exercise Physiologist
- Hand and Upper Limb Therapist
- Sport and Remedial Massage
BSEMS practitioners are involved in the care of professional sporting teams and businesses (past and present) including:
- Australian Olympic Kayak and Canoeing Team
- Brisbane International Tennis Competition
- Melbourne Storm NRL team
- Queensland Ballet
- Brisbane Roar A League team
- Brisbane Broncos NRL team
- Australian Rugby Union and Queensland Reds Super 15 and Reds Rugby Academy
- Australian Swimming Team including coverage for Pan Pacifics Championships
- Queensland Academy of Sport teams including Swimming, Gymnastics and Netball
- Easts Rugby Union
- Easts Rugby League
- BHP Billiton
Procedures on offer include:
- Bone stimulator ultrasound (LIPUS) for management of stress fractures
- Compartment Pressure tests
- Cortisone injections into symptomatic joints and soft tissue
- Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP), percutaneous tenotomy and Autologous blood injections
- Ultrasound assessment and guided injections as appropriate
Situated at 87 Riding Road Hawthorne, BSEMS has convenient free onsite parking, and plenty of street parking available for its patrons. Public transport is close by with public buses stopping on Riding Road, or Morningside train station a short walk away.
BSEMS is open between the hours of 8am-6pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. We are open 1pm-6pm on Thursday. At present we are closed all public holidays and weekends.
Patients seeing Sports Physicians require a referral from a Doctor (GP or other Specialist) to be eligible for a Specialist Medicare rebate. You may still attend without a Doctor referral, but your rebate may be less.
Orthopaedic surgeons, our Endocrinologist and our Neurosurgeon must have a referral from your GP.
Allied Health practitioners do not need a referral, but if directed from your GP, you may be eligible for Medicare rebates.